Child Custody Lawyer
Call (888) 628-8838 :: We have the experience to help you through this challenging situation and will make sure that you are satisfied with the results.
When two people get a divorce, children are often brought right into the middle of the strife as their parents struggle to cope with the shifting roles in their child’s life. When it comes to child custody and other issues involving children, our firm’s number one priority is to ensure that they are kept as far away from the conflict as much as possible.
Types of Child Custody
During child custody discussions, there may some terms used that you have heard before but may not fully understand. As your child custody attorney, we will make sure that you fully comprehend what is being discussed at every stage of your case.
The courts typically start with the assumption that children are more likely to thrive and have a healthy childhood when they can spend time with both of their parents.
There are varying types of child custody arrangements in both New Jersey and New York:
- Joint Custody – This is where the child lives with one parent, or alternates between parents, and the parents work together to determine educational and medical decisions.
- Sole Custody – This is where the child lives with only one parent and gets appropriate time with the non-custodial parent.
- Other Custody Arrangements – The court can determine any other type of custody arrangement that they find to be in the child’s best interests.
Deciding Factors in Custody Hearings
The best interest of the child is the deciding factor in child custody hearings. With the help of our child custody attorneys, parents can generally mediate and come to a peaceable conclusion regarding what works best for the child and them. In determining what is best for the child, there are several things to consider:
- A parenting plan and wishes submitted by each parent
- The willingness of each parent to meet the needs of the child, including the child’s need to spend quality time with each of their parents
- What the child thinks is best for them
- Any intent on behalf of either parent to relocate with the child
- The willingness of the parents to encourage the relationship between their child and the other parent
- The physical and mental well being of both the parents and that of the child
- History of abusive behavior
Our child custody lawyers will go over each of these with you so that you can make a co-parenting plan that is ultimately beneficial for your children. Keep in mind that if the presiding judge does not feel that all of these points were covered sufficiently, he has the authority to impose his terms for your child custody case.
Child Custody Lawyers in NJ & NYC
We recognize the delicate nature of child custody proceedings and make it a priority to ensure that the interests of you and your child are considered first. Many find the idea of losing time with their child overwhelming. We have the experience to help you through this challenging situation and will make sure that you are satisfied with the results.